Thursday, November 15, 2012

Fun, Simple, and Easy Fleece Fringe Scarf Tutorial – Great for Presents!


Hello! Today I thought I’d share with you all a very quick and EASY sewing project that would make some great homemade Christmas presents!

I’ll start by saying I have very amateur sewing skills. I’m really great at straight lines, but that’s about it. My Mom and I have a little side crafting business and she is in charge of all the sewing. I started getting into it about 3 months ago when my Mom started teaching me how to make some pillowcase dresses for our store. I remember sewing back when I was in school when we took Home Economics. Do they even still teach that in school? Anyway, I was never very good at it. I remember sewing a purse and forgetting to sew the bottom. So when I tell you I wasn’t good, I’m not kidding!

Today, I’m actually taking an interest in sewing. When my Mom started showing me some tips and tricks and encouraging me I started to actually get excited about it and really enjoy it. Enjoy it so much that I got a sewing machine for my birthday! Yay! I’ve been trying little projects here and there and I’m really having fun.

So here’s the deal. Anyone can do this project. It’s very simple. I think from start to finish, this project took about 30-45 minutes.

Here we go!

Fleece Fringe Scarf Tutorial

title

Supplies Needed:

- ¼ yard of fleece (2-3 different kinds – any color or pattern that you like)

**NOTE: for my scarf, I used 2 different kinds. (1/4 yard pink zebra, ½ yard black) Looking back, I think I probably would have done ¼ yard pink zebra, ¼ yard pink, and ¼ yard black

- Really sharp scissors

- Measuring tape

- Sewing machine with coordinating thread

materialsneeded

Instructions:

- Cut your fleece into 5 inch wide and 5 foot long pieces. If you are making the scarf for a child, I’d do 5 inches wide and 3 or 4 feet long.
Strips on table

- Layer the pieces together in an order that appeals to you.
3 fabrics

- Sew down the middle of the fabric. No pinning needed! If you don’t have a steady hand, you could pin it, but perfection isn’t really needed here!
sewncollage

- Cut 1 inch slits down each side of the sewn scarf trying to get pretty close to the sewn line. Do not cut through it!
cutcollage

**Note: a trick that I did was line up the measuring tape over the part that is sewn so that I knew where to stop and where to cut. I can get a little over zealous!
trick

- Once cut on both sides fluff it up and you are ready to go!
finished2


I’d love to hear if any of you try this so please let me know! For even more tips and tricks don’t forget to follow me on Facebook! Also, if you haven’t already, please sign up for my newsletter where I will be offering lots of great specials only for my readers and even more great news! (Sign up on the top right of the page)

Have a great day!

Nikki

3 comments:

  1. This scarf is adorable. I have a link party and would love to have you share this and any other posts. It is called Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party. The link to the party is
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-link_14.html
    I hope to see you there.
    Have a great week.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  2. These scarves are adorable. I think that I need to make a bunch of these to give to the shelter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this scarf last night, took me ten minutes for my eldest daughter(5). She loved it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete