Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Happy Belated Veterans Day!


Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a nice weekend! Ours was a little extended because there was no school for the kids yesterday!

Our weekend was filled with lots of Veterans Day activities. For those of you who don’t know me too well yet, I have a soft spot in my heart for our military. My father served in the Army where he fought in the Vietnam War, my husband served in the Navy, and my brother served in the Army where he was severely wounded in Iraq back in 2008. The military has been around me my entire life. The stories and the pictures have changed my views on many things even in my own life. The respect and admiration that I have for those who serve is very strong. 

On Sunday we went to a Veterans Day memorial service where my brother Matt spoke about his time in the Army and his long road to recovery after he hit an IED in Iraq. Matt went through 44 surgeries and 3 years of recovery from the blast that day. He is one of the strongest men I know. Watching what he went through was one of the hardest things I have ever had to endure so far even in my own life. There were some days I really wasn’t sure if he’d ever be the same person that we saw walk out the door to join the Army. While he may still not be able to do things that everyone can do, I can proudly say that he is recovered, working full time, a homeowner, and a proud Daddy to his puppy Brutus.

mattiraq

Here is the clip from his speech. Sorry about the camera shaking…..I was holding my daughter at the same time!


 

On a little bit of a lighter note, I’m working on some great posts for you all! This time of year is my most favorite time. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, I love them all! Stay tuned for a 12 days of cookie series where I will be sharing my family’s favorite cookie recipes, I’ll also be posting a great stocking stuffer post where I will share my list of 100 easy stocking stuffers, and I’ll also be sharing some great handmade shops where you can get some really unique gifts for your loved ones this year! If you have a handmade shop, (Etsy, Storenvy, etc.) don’t forget to stop by our Facebook page and share your shop! You never know, you may just be featured here!

Have a great day!

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment