Saturday, May 5, 2012

Quick & Easy Guacamole

Today, I’m going to share with you a recipe for guacamole I’ve been toying with.  I never used to be a guacamole fan until I visited a local Mexican restaurant called Besito in West Hartford, CT.  My husband has always been a fan of guacamole from living in San Diego, CA while serving in the Navy.  His love for this Mexican side dish has now been passed onto me!  While I notice many people use white or yellow onions in their recipes, I love the sweetness of red onions and I think it makes the recipe pop!  This is a very versatile recipe.  This recipe is a canvas for your tastes.  Make it your own!  I’ve seen people add roasted corn, black beans, or hefty doses of Tabasco.  In short, be creative, and enjoy whatever you make this out to be!

What you need:
2 avocados
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (you can take out the seeds for less heat)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 ripe tomato, chopped or fresh salsa (found in most produce depts.)
2 – 3 heaping tablespoons of cilantro, finely chopped
1 lime, juiced
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Peel and mash avocados in a medium bowl.  Stir in the onion, jalapeno, garlic, tomato/salsa, cilantro, lime juice, and salt and pepper. 
Add more lime juice, salt, and pepper to taste if necessary. 
Chill for 1 hour. 
~Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment